Do I Have a Nail Head?

64LeSabre

I'm 16 and have recently purchased a 1964 four door Buick LeSabre hardtop for $300, it runs, the body is great and so is the interior, but I'm trying to find out what's in it. It's obviously a big block, has an aluminum 4-barrel intake and aluminum heads. The only numbers I've been able to find on the block are exactly the same as the vin, which is 4K4060027. It also came with factory options such as power brakes, power steering, and air conditioning. Is this a rare car, and do I have a nailhead? All the aluminum stuff I mentioned before is factory. If anybody can give me any info I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks,
Clinton

Clinton, that is not a big block, it's a 300 cubic inch. It is a basicly an odd fire V6 (used up till 1977) with two more cylinders. I have one in my '65 Skylark, it's a great "little" motor.

------------------
Life long Buick fan,
1965 Gran Sport Conv.
1965 Skylark H/T
1948 Chevy P.U. with 401 in it.

yes, its a 300, and should say Wildcat 355 on the air cleaner. High compression, very nice engine. If you need any info on that engine send me an email

No, its not a big block. Two things give that away; first, the aluminum goodies, which were 300 only, and there was only one Buick V-8 that had aluminum on it in 64. Thats a 300. In addition, the 300 with the aluminum heads and 4bbl are the high compression 250 hp, 300ci 355's. Also, the LeSabre was not available with 401/425 (big block). The only LeSabres available with those were wagons. LeSabre was the low-priced full-size. Soon,hopefully, I will have the advertising literature scanned and get on my site. Here is one page on my site that lists that engine http://www.ironhunter.net/Tech/64ful_spec.html
These figures and info were taken directly from 1964 BMD literature.
I wouldnt say it was a rare car, as far as 64 LeSabres go anyway. The 300 was the engine option that year for the LeSabre, either in 310 or 355. Of course there are some of the standard V-6 ones out there too, but if I was to comment on the rares...I'd say it would be the V-6 with standard trans. I've never seen one but that was the base model. The 310 had aluminum heads and intake but were 2bbl, and I seem to get as many of those as I do 355's.

Back