Front Suspension Help Needed

njlimbaugh

Experienced Member
I just removed the front suspension on my 1940 Super and discovered that the inner shaft on the lower control arm ("A" arm) does not have replaceable bushings! All the references tell me to replace the whole arm. Has anybody found a way to repair this? Short of doing a front clip, that is! The whole thing seems to be pressed together, bushings and all.:clonk:

There is a way to replace the inner, lower control rods using the Kanter replacements

I sent you a reply about two months ago, but apparently you have not seen it. I have replaced all the components and have had my car on the road for three months with no problems, and the handling is perfect. It takes some patience, but the inner, lower control arms can be replaced without damaging the entire A-frame. If you reply to this, I'll re-state the process.

M. Rooney,
Thanks for the reply. In the time between my original post and now I've figured out how it works and rebuilt the front end. Just for fun, does this match what you did? I sawed the ends off of the original pivot shaft so that I could remove the original parts, bushings and all. Then (luckily) I found a NOS kit on ebay at next to nothing compared to what the parts guys are asking. When it got here, I clamped the arm in a vise and pried the legs apart with a small jack far enough to slip the new shaft in place after which it was just a matter of screwing the new bushings in. Worked fine and I'm back on the road! :thumbsup:

I used a DeWalt hand-held bandsaw to make one angular cut in the middle of each rod which facilitated their removal. There were no threads in the arms of my '41 Buick, and the Kanter threaded ends were a larger diameter than the arms, so I turned down the OD of the threads which all but eliminated the threads. I also had to utilize a three-stone brake cylinder hone to cleanup and open the holes in the control arms. The Kanter rods were cast as one piece rather than the originals which had spot welded clamps for bolting to the frame. This allowed for very easy insertion of the rods into the control arms, and subsequent insertion of the threaded ends onto the rods and through the control arms. I was concerned about the threaded ends backing out of the control arms, so I drilled and tapped the thicker built-up area of each control arm and inserted and thread-locked a 5/16" allen-style set-screw to a dead-stop against the threaded end.

I just finished replacing the king pins and bushings (also from Kanter) in the car and used the opportunity to inspect the suspension components I had replaced, finding none of the threaded ends had backed out. I had to utilize the brake cylinder hone, with a new set of stones, to open up the new king pin bushings, but short of using a reamer, this job also went very well.

Back