Help Identifying Engine

p38

I just acquired a 231 to swap into my 1953 M38A1 Jeep. The only history on the engine is it was in a GM vehicle wrecked during delivery to a local dealer, removed and donated to the local college automotive shop - and there she sat. I do not know the model of the donor vehicle. The block number is: 25506818, head: 25506293, intake: 25506510, carb is a Rochester dualjet. I have not been able to read the engine serial number, I believe it is under the power steering pump bracket? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Are there any other numbers or marks I should look for?

Thank you,

g

Last edited:
If you find the number under the power steering pump bracket, you will be able to identify the engine using the identification information in the "Reference" section of the site.

Thanks Bob,

I pulled the power steering pump and bracket. The number stamped on the block is: 402

My next question - is it possible to change the shaft for the cooling fan to something a bit shorter? There may not be enough room in my jeep to use the long shaft.

Thanks,

g

Last edited:
Back