intermittent surging

1976 Electra 225

I had My '76 out for a cruise tonight,when on the way back home it started surging,then died.I got it restarted, then drove about 3 blocks,and it did this same thing again. I got it back home in the garage, and it was ok again. I was thinking that I may need to pour a couple bottles of Heet in the gas tank.
the carb is a recent rebuild, fuel pump is new. (dist cap,rotor,plugs new, wires were ok) it has never done this in the 139 miles I've put on it so far. (it has 48,982 orig miles as of today) I have a new fuel filter I can also install

I'm thinking it might have some moisture in the tank, as I take it out for a cruise only 1 or 2 times a month

intermittent Surging

I just went through something similar with my 62 Skylark. Turned out to be a fuel line was allowing the fuel pump to suck air into the line. Also I had an additional problem with the floats in the carb not adjusted properly.
If you have a see through filter, check for air bubbles. Check around the carb for dried fuel from where it may have flooded.

the only rubber line I have, is between the line from the tank,and the fuel pump. the carb is a quadrajet. my car has the optional fuel usage guage, and it was moving between the "lo" and "hi" on the gauge as the surging occurred. before I took it out,I did have a bit of trouble as I was warming it up, I couldn't press on the gas, without it trying to stall out. it has never done this to me before.

A gas tank that old may have contaminants that block the pick up tube. To check this the tank and sending unit will have to be removed. Many models do have short rubber lines under the car ot connect the long metal line runs. Check those too.

A gas tank that old may have contaminants that block the pick up tube. To check this the tank and sending unit will have to be removed. Many models do have short rubber lines under the car ot connect the long metal line runs. Check those too.

the car was on empty when I got it (just like all the other cars I have bought)

mine does have the short rubber lines at the back, I can check and replace them if needed. I can, if need be just grab another tank from a friend who runs big '74-'76 GM cars like mine in demolition derby's for free.(mine had a small hole,which I patched with JB weld) it will be fun lowering the tank, as it is full of ga$, and at the current price (3.24 locally) I don't want to have to waste any.what would be the easiest way to get the ga$ out?

Do it the way most thieves do...

Siphon:

put a piece of fuel line down the filler and give it a little suck (try not to drink too much, beer is a suitable mouth wash) and put the end into a container. When the container is full, pinch or plug the line and transfere to another container.:D

Do it the way most thieves do...

Siphon:

put a piece of fuel line down the filler and give it a little suck (try not to drink too much, beer is a suitable mouth wash) and put the end into a container. When the container is full, pinch or plug the line and transfere to another container.:D

well, I guess I better go buy a 6 pack of "mouthwash" before I try it :thumbsup:

I looked down the carb this afternoon, and it showed no signs of flooding, the inside of the carb looked ok

Last edited:
It could be the "sock" filter clogged up in the fuel tank as stated earlier and you would need to remove the tank and sending unit to replace this part .HTH good luck .
John

It could be the "sock" filter clogged up in the fuel tank as stated earlier and you would need to remove the tank and sending unit to replace this part .HTH good luck .
John

looks like I have a fun job ahead of me.that sure could be it, as while the surging was occurring, I couldn't get anything out of it, as when I tried to bring it out of it, it would fall flat, and die. to get it going again, I pressed the pedal to the floor, and it would start. would run fine for a few blocks before doing it again. I'll get some of those paint strainers, so when I put the liquid gold (ga$) back in, I can make sure no dirt gets back in :thumbsup: I'll also change the fuel filter in the carb too. can this sock filter be had at auto parts stores like NAPA/O'Reilly etc?

Last edited:
would a tank from a '75-'76 Olds 98 fit my car?, I have a chance to get a good one for free.could I use my current sending unit in the other tank?

No

Your tank = GM 40-G

Olds tank = GM 40-D

that's what I was afraid of, this guy also has a '76 limited 2 door hardtop ,and a '76 limited 4 door hardtop, I should be able to grab one of those. but before I take the tank clear out, I'm gonna change the fuel filter in the carb, and inspect the hoses, maybe I'll get lucky,and not have to completely pull the tank :thumbsup:

*update: I replaced the fuel filter , and I cut it in half, it had a grayish appearance inside, is this an indication that I need to drop the tank anyway? hopefully it will be ok, as I have a cruise in this friday at the opening of a new o'reilly store, and I wanna take it out for that :shifter:

Last edited:
here's a look at the filter I changed today:carb was rebuilt before I got the car, I've put 138 miles on it so far. so, I'll take it out fri, and then after 50 mi, check the filter again. I may also put an inline filter between the tank,and pump too.

pic is a bit fuzzy, my camera focus was off

Did it sit with a empty tank?if so try methal hydrate first water u no,the gas will eat the jbweld eventually and start to leak again there is no glue that will hold it forever.The new tank is a must.

Did it sit with a empty tank?if so try methal hydrate first water u no,the gas will eat the jbweld eventually and start to leak again there is no glue that will hold it forever.The new tank is a must.

it had no more than a gallon left in the tank,gauge was on "E". the car sat for 10 years in a metal building before I bought it. sooo, guess I'll get the liquid gold (ga$) out of the old tank, and get another one

well, I have 10 gallons out of it so far, and here's a pic of the sock filter.
I peeked in thru the sending unit hole, and the inside of the tank is clean, except for a few small dirt flakes floating around. I still have to get the remaining ga$ out of it. once I do, how can I get those dirt flakes out?

Last edited:
update:

finally got the remaining ga$ out of the tank, it looks like new inside, I saw nothing that would have caused this problem. a local mechanic told me to do away with the sock, and put an inline filter between the tank,and pump,should I do this?

No I would not based on this information.

Do you get a steady stream from the fuel pump?

I will test that when I get it back together. I finished cleaning the tank out, it's very clean. I'm going to put it back in monday, then filter the fuel thru a paint strainer as I pour it back in the tank. another friend told me that the pump,despite being new could have developed a problem.that's sure a good possibility, since the inside of the tank looked so good. I watched the fuel as it drained from the tank,and I took a sample,and it was clean.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to carry a spare fuel pump, and filters in the car, in case I'd need to do an emergency roadside repair? any other parts I ought to consider ?

Last edited:
Back