LeSabre door rattles

You need to narrow down the problem first. Does the door sag at the hinges? Can you grab the door and move it up and down? If when you close the door it's hitting the striker pin instead of going around it the door will not close properly. Check the alignment of the door to the rear fender to know for sure. If so there should be some adjustment in the hinges unless they are too worn to adjust. There is also adjustment in the striker pin mounted to the door jam. There is up, down, in and out adjustment

You need to narrow down the problem first. Does the door sag at the hinges? Can you grab the door and move it up and down? If when you close the door it's hitting the striker pin instead of going around it the door will not close properly. Check the alignment of the door to the rear fender to know for sure. If so there should be some adjustment in the hinges unless they are too worn to adjust. There is also adjustment in the striker pin mounted to the door jam. There is up, down, in and out adjustment
Thanks for the quick response! Fit and finish is perfect. The door has just a bit of play when it latches, enough play that it rattles. The passenger door closes snuggly. I can't figure out how to adjust latch to tighten door when closed.

Then it sounds to me like the 2 rubber door stops are missing on the part of the door where the latch is. If you dont have the 2 blocks of rubber there one high one low then that's exactly the problem you'll have. Check against the passenger side door. If they are there then it's an adjustment issue.

Then it sounds to me like the 2 rubber door stops are missing on the part of the door where the latch is. If you dont have the 2 blocks of rubber there one high one low then that's exactly the problem you'll have. Check against the passenger side door. If they are there then it's an adjustment issue.
Thank you! Cars in shop right now but I'll check this as soon as I get it back. Also I'll let you know what I've found.

Thank you! Cars in shop right now but I'll check this as soon as I get it back. Also I'll let you know what I've found.
Of course that's assuming it is the door and not something inside. Have you checked the 3 screws that retain the latch plate to the door?

It could be the window guides are out of adjustment but also could have lost their felt covers or the plastic clips that retain the door linkages have let go after 50 years. Any of these issues will require removal of the inside door panel to analyze.

Of course that's assuming it is the door and not something inside. Have you checked the 3 screws that retain the latch plate to the door?

It could be the window guides are out of adjustment but also could have lost their felt covers or the plastic clips that retain the door linkages have let go after 50 years. Any of these issues will require removal of the inside door panel to analyze.
I haven't checked the 3 screws for latch plate, but I know exactly what you are referring to. I'll be sure to check them as soon as I get car back.

It sounds like you simply need new door "silencers" as GM calls them. They stop the door from rattling & allow for adjustment. I have them NOS NEW genuine GM for $10 a pair & are EZ to install. They are the gray piece between the washer & striker head. If yours are missing, this will solve the issue.
Pls email me direct @ monteman@montemania.com & visit my website: www.montemania.com

Thanks, Phil

Attachments

• Door_striker_small.JPG
    Door_striker_small.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 2
It sounds like you simply need new door "silencers" as GM calls them. They stop the door from rattling & allow for adjustment. I have them NOS NEW genuine GM for $10 a pair & are EZ to install. They are the gray piece between the washer & striker head. If yours are missing, this will solve the issue.
Pls email me direct @ monteman@montemania.com & visit my website: www.montemania.com

Thanks, Phil
Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure that there is no "washer" between striker head and base of striker. But I'm not clear as how this would help? It seems the striker post needs to be set back, or inboard 3/16" or something.

Eric sent me a pic of his striker & indeed the "silencer" has long ago fell off. $10...A very quick & inexpensive way to resolve the rattle issue. Not to say that they may not be some other issues, but the "silencer" is the starting point in resolving the issue. The top of the striker showed little to know wear, so at this point, the hinges should be fine. thx Phil www.montemania.com

The window not going all the way down could be as simple as something in the bottom of the door causing the rattle to a stop adjustment up to a bind in the regulator. You just can't predict this stuff without the door card off and watching the windows operation.

Back