LIFE magazine picture

Buickspec6231

My Father has had the same 1937 Mack BX for over 30 years now. My Father's Mack was owned by Gerosa Trucking down in the NYC and NJ area for many years. It has been his dream to restore it, but life always gets in the way one way or another. A friend of my Father's came across some old LIFE magazine pictures online. In one of the pictures he spotted a Gerosa Mack BX. He decided to forward the pictures to my Father to share them. My dad instantly recognized the pictured BX to be a factory diesel truck. He knew this because of the amount of hood louvers. The diesel truck had more louvers (19 per side) than the gas powered trucks. My dad did some more searching and was able to zoom in on one of the pictures enough to read the truck number which Gerosa painted on all their trucks, each truck having a different number. Amazingly the cab number in the Life magazine is the same as the number painted on my Father's Mack. Pretty awesome piece of history to keep with the Truck's. I attached one of the pictures from the LIFE magazine of my Father's Mack BX back in the late 40's or early 50's still doing work at a NYC construction site.
4b.JPG

Does anyone else have an interesting story about one of their vehicles, whether it be a Buick or other??

Pretty COOL story. I've owned my '64 Riv. since new. Every so often I see a picture or a video of it on the drag strip back in the day. I ALWAYS try to purchase any I can find or are willing to let me make a copy. Just adds that much more to the life & history of me & my CAR!!!!

Tom T.

My Interesting Car Story

My car story is about the 1st new car I ever bought. I tagged along with my buddy who was going to order a new Olds F85 Cutlass. I was killing a little time while he got his car on order. A very distinguished looking gentleman started making small talk with me as I was looking at the new cars on display. I mentioned I would like to have one of those new Cutlasses, but with the drivetrain from the full size Olds. After some more chit-chat, he mentioned he was actually the divisional manager from Detroit & would like to make me an offer. He said that even though a 4spd tranny was not going to be offered with a higher performance engine for at least 3-4 more months, he would order it custom built for me if I was interested. HELL YES I'M INTERESTED! I took delivery of it 6 weeks before it would be released to the general public. Two weeks later I showed up at the dragstrip with it. I ended up racing against another F85 that had the standard drivetrain with a 3spd stick. After he made a couple of practice runs I told him I had to go see how mine was going to run. He was parked behind the fence right where I slammed 4th gear. When I came back down the return lane, he had already been to the tower & filed a grievance against me. They said I was running illegal. WHO, ME? I opened the glove box & very carefully unfolded the window sticker. Lo & behold, it had a 4spd listed! He was all bent out of shape at that, so to rub him a little farther, I parked 2 cars from him at the fence. All his buddys & girl freinds thought that was funny & kept making comments at him. His girl friend kept asking him to let her take his car & run it on the strip. He told her no damn girl was going to drive his car, so I asked her if she knew how to drive a stick. She said yes, so I gave her the keys to my car that ran circles around his. By now his buddys were in histerics over all this. When she got done driving my car & parked it, he told her that she could just walk the 60 miles home. I told him that wasn't a problem since I would take her home. We ended up dating for 6 months until her brother told me she was expecting a diamond for Christmas. I wasn't ready for that so that was the end of all of it.
Thom

Back