media blasting engine compartment

G

gstewart

guys- at this end of this month, i am removing the engine and tranny from my 72 gs
to replace gaskets , seals, etc . here is the
problem- the previous owner, used a product, i believe is called rockhard (like a poor man's por). the stuff is hard and also black and has been sprayed on the fender liners and firewall. looks bad . will bead blasting
remove this stuff or are chemicals that will
remove it ? any ideas ?
tkx
gerry

I d'ont know what the product is and how it looks like but if its possible and the stuff is still in good shape I would just sand it smoot and paint it in the color I want. It cant hurt having a rock hard coating in your engine bay because it will protect it while wrenching on your engine in the future.EVERY body drops a tool once in a while.Now if you want this car to be a show car then thats different and then I agree that its have to come off.
There is a topic in this forum on blasting panels of a car and you most likely get the same problems if you try it in your engine bay.I suggest you read this topic to see what problems you can get

First of all, if the front clip isn't removed, then you wouldn't want to use any "bead blaster" or sand blaster. And plastic or walnut shells is probably not going to touch the stuff. So you may need to dissasisble the front end and sand blast the inner fenders, rad support and then you will have access to the firewall and you can sand it off.

------------------
Life long Buick fan,
1965 Gran Sport Conv.
1965 Skylark H/T
1948 Chevy P.U. with 401 in it.

thanks for the advice guys . i will try and
do some sanding in an unseen area to see how
that progresses. i know that lacquer thinner
does seem to work somewhat but it leaves a
white residue ; besides i dare not splatter or spill it on the paint .
tkx
gerry

Back