Mystery engine

M

My350

Over the weekend, I picked up an engine from one of my neighbors for doing some work for him. All either of us know for sure is that it is a Buick. Not really anything else, he said he thought it might be a 455, but he wasnt sure. What, where might I be able to find information on the block and/or heads, and where can I find decoding information? Thanks
Matt

Try these spots on the block for a number: 1. Left side, between the two front spark plugs and the exhaust manifold, 2. Left side between two rear spark plugs and the exhaust manifold, 3. Front, upper right side. Also in case it is not a 455, try the front, upper left side.

There will be two identifying numbers somewhere on the block. One is the engine production number. It will be in the form AB123. This will give the year, CID, carb, maybe HP, and date built.

The other is the engine serial number. It will tell the year and the last part of the VIN of the car. It is in the form 2H100001.

If nothing else can be found, we can work with part numbers of an original distributor, carb, starter, or alternator to some extent.

I have yet to pull the engine apart or clean any of the grease off, it still has exhaust manifolds on it. One thing I can tell you is that there is a 72 cast on to the top of the exhaust ports on #1 and #8. Is this the year?

I would say yes, based on reports of other owners on this site. I don't have anything in print to back me up though.

Matt,
Don't assume that you have a 72 engine. My 68 GS350 has the 72 heads also, but the # stamped on my block tells me it is a 71 block. Someone did a little mix-n-match on it.

------------------
David Gramlow
1968 GS350
GSCA 861

I have no idea if the 72 on the heads is the year or not. I was just taking a guess. As a matter of fact, as soon as I am done replying to this post I am headed out to the garage to look. Since I now have some information to go by thanks to the posts on this site. I shall see what it really is. I will let you know what I find.

Well, I looked on the back of the block and it was stamped 455 with the #1241735 below that. So, it is a 1972 455.

Back