Need of information

Poupou69

Hello, on my body plate (buick wildcat custom 1969) what does the code B8, the BW code before the body number and 0584 mean?

2020-09-08 18.24.43.jpg

I believe BW is the Wilmington, Delaware plant. 0584 may be the sequence number on the build sheet.
Thanks for the info, but as far as BW is concerned, you're not the first to tell me it's Wilmington but in all the research I've done it's the Y code that designates Wilmington. Do you have a reference for the BW code?

The B8 code is short for B80 which is Roof Drip Scalp and Windshield Pillar Molding. Here is a thread from a few years back on decoding a similar car:

Here is a list of the RPO codes showing B80:

The BW prefix for the Wilmington Fisher Body plant is shown in the Buick Master Parts Book of 1972. It's on the '64 model page which is the last one in that book to show the body plant prefixes. It would have still been valid in '69.

The Y code for Wilmington assembled cars shows up on the VIN plate which was produced by Buick Motor Div. Back then, the Car Division and Fisher Body had a lot of independence - almost like two separate companies. On some cars the body was not built at the same site as where the car was assembled, so both plant codes are necessary.

Attachments

• Fisher body plant codes.pdf
    277.6 KB · Views: 9
The B8 code is short for B80 which is Roof Drip Scalp and Windshield Pillar Molding. Here is a thread from a few years back on decoding a similar car:

Here is a list of the RPO codes showing B80:

The BW prefix for the Wilmington Fisher Body plant is shown in the Buick Master Parts Book of 1972. It's on the '64 model page which is the last one in that book to show the body plant prefixes. It would have still been valid in '69.

The Y code for Wilmington assembled cars shows up on the VIN plate which was produced by Buick Motor Div. Back then, the Car Division and Fisher Body had a lot of independence - almost like two separate companies. On some cars the body was not built at the same site as where the car was assembled, so both plant codes are necessary.
Thank you very much for this information, it is much appreciated!!!

Back