Pitman Seal

HI
I am looking for a pitman shaft seal for a 56 Buick Century with power steering. There seems to be confusion as to the seal number. Is anybody familiar with the correct seal number??
I am new here. So I did a search and came up with nothing, which surprised me. After reading through the Buick Shop Manual and seeing all the extra stuff on a Buick versus a Chevy or Pontiac I am surprised the is not more information covered.
I have had this car 8 years sitting in the barn. Oiled it up and put gas to it and it fired right up. I have been buying parts on Ebay to get ready to renovate.
Any help on the pitman seal issue would be greatly appreciated. Also where is the best place to buy one?

Thanks
Gishmonster

Pitman shaft seal

Hey Gishmonster-
Buick Farm shows a '56 (all) P. shaft seal fot $14.95 in their online catalog.
go to www.buickfarm.com
Good luck,
Steve (motorhead)
p.s. you know how to get your old one out right???

Thanks motorhead
I looked it up on there site and you are right. They list a 5686508 pitman seal kit for the 56 Buick all. The problem is there are other places that list the 5685358 as the correct kit.
I contacted them and will wait to see what there answer is as to compatability.
Thanks for asking about the removal. No, I have never removed a pitman seal. The repair book shows several washers and two bushings in there. But I do not have anything to tell how to get them to drop out of there.
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Gishmonster

Last edited:
56 Buick Pitman Seal

HI to all interested parties.
I received an answer back from buickfarm.com.
We do Stock # 5686508 which is the Steering Box Pitman Shaft Seal Kit for 1956 Buick's with Power Steering.
Thank You,
Doug
I have asked at other locations and could not get a difinitive answer.
I could still use those removal tips if motorhead could help out.

Thanks
Gishmonster

After 7 years I got around to working on this Buick . I had to use a 1 in. ratchet to break the 1 3\16 in. nut loose on the Pitman tapered shaft. I then had to remove the snap ring holding the seal assembly in place. There is a steel washer that I had to sharpen a punch and tap on to get the washer to move. I then got a strong magnet and got it to come out. Then there is a leather dust washer. I used a small thin pick to remove it so I would not damage it since my seal kit did not come with one. It is a thick washer about the thickness of a silver dollar and fits real tight. Then there is another Steel washer to remove. The rubber seal is then about 3/4 in. up in the opening. I used a small drill to put a hole in the bottom of the seal. I then used a small dent puller and screwed it into the hole in the seal and it pulled out.
I cleaned every thing and inserted the seal by hand and placed one of the washers on it. I used a piece of thin wall conduit to drive the washer and seal into place. I then inserted everything else in. NOTE--- The kit had thinner washers than the originals. I tried using the originals and the snap ring would not go in. So I switched to the washers that came in the kit and it worked. The seal must be thicker. The nut holding the pitman arm gets torqued at between 140 ad 180 ft. lbs. depending on where you read. I did 150.

The old seal has a number that is 5683373.

Last edited:
Back