Rebuilding 1968 Power antenna

My power antenna goes up, but not down. The plastic cord is probably broken and needs to be replaced. Has anyone here done that? Its to expensive to send it by mail from europe to usa to have it rebuild.

/Gustav

Just having a look at a couple of 1966 parts antennas, before I spent the bucks, I would undo the nut on the top of the antenna and try pulling the top section out through the bottom. If it comes out nicely, you will be able to inspect how the plastic cord is attached to it and probably fix it:)
Take some pictures and post your progress, I am sure someone would love to have some ideas. (DYI article?).

I pulled the top section out of may parts antenna. It could be a pain to break off the tip, so I used a propane torch to quickly heat it and the nut turned off very easily.

IMG_4144.jpg

The connection is simple enough, the only possible challenge will be finding something small enough to fit back into the antenna.

IMG_4145.jpg

Just having a look at a couple of 1966 parts antennas, before I spent the bucks, I would undo the nut on the top of the antenna and try pulling the top section out through the bottom. If it comes out nicely, you will be able to inspect how the plastic cord is attached to it and probably fix it:)
Take some pictures and post your progress, I am sure someone would love to have some ideas. (DYI article?).
Thanks! The nut on the top seems to be a challenge :)

I will, have to remove the power antenna from the car first

Be patient with the nut, you can turn it upside down, heat it pretty good and then feed some paraffin wax into it so that it can wick up during cool down. It will be better to discolor the nut than break it off.

Back