runnin headers

1970 skylark

i am about to do some upgrades on my buick and one of them is adding headers. I am changing my intake, cam, etc. My money is a little low so i won't be able to run my exhaust system for a couple of weeks, will runnin straight from the headers hurt anything, and how loud will it be?

It will be unbearably loud, IMO.

Also if you are not careful, you can scorch the underside of your floorboards- there is a lot of heat that comes out from those headers. I would (at least) scrape off the rustproofing.

If you are just looking to be able to start it up to drive it in and out of your garage, you'll probably be okay. But I wouldn't recommend "daily driving" it until you get the exhaust system plumbed.

Just my opinion...

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

what would be the best sounding and cheapest mufflers to get right now? I am looking for something to last me a couple of months.

Glasspacks are the cheapest at 20 bucks a pop, there are even glasspacks that will bolt directly to the header collector.

Running straight headers isn't a good idea. Besides the heat, noise, and possible fumes. You can bend valves when cool air enters the heads after you shut the car off. It's a small chance, but i wouldn't take it.

Back