Shaving

gag67sky

Hi, I was thinking about shaving the roof rail drips while redoing the top of my 67' Skylark 4DHT. I don't like much their design. Knowing that the car shouldn't drive under the rain, what's the risk of this kind of mod ? Let me knowk your feeling about it... Should I ???:confused:

Hi, is there any body out there who has done the job before and could give me some advice before I plug my cutting tool???? Am I the first fool to make the job:clonk:?? Please let me know anything:confused:!!

I drive the same car, but I have never had the urge to do that.
concern would be to have a look and be reasonable certain that there the raill is not there to be a fixing point for the roof supports or whatever so that you can be reasonable certain that when you have shaved the rails your roof sheet isn't seperated from its support structure. Should this be the case, then you would just have to be prepared to deal with it:confused:

If it turns into a disaster, you can always move on to a convertible...

Good luck!

Hi, I was thinking about shaving the roof rail drips while redoing the top of my 67' Skylark 4DHT. I don't like much their design. Knowing that the car shouldn't drive under the rain, what's the risk of this kind of mod ? Let me knowk your feeling about it... Should I ???:confused:

To be sure there must be other things that rank higher on your bucket list.

Hi, of course I have so many other stupid things to do first!:bana:
But anyway as I've removed the bad vinyl top and I'm gonna do the top paint job, I want to make it only once...
The rail drips seem only an extension of the top sheet metal that's been bended up. The top sheet seem to be glued? to the top frame before them...
I think I'm gonna cut the final lip and 'hammer-bend-back':clonk: or so the main part to the inside of the car in order to have a good finished look and keep risk to see the roof 'pop-out' on the lowest.....:D
Wish me luck!
Bob, if you can look at your drip rails and give me your feeling about the risk level of removing welded points or so... I'd be very pleased !
:waving:

I can't see much because my car is in one piece. You should be able to see exactly what you are up against when you remove your headliner and door rubbers.

Sorry I can't help you any more.

Good luck

Coward!

Hi. Well, .......I have to say I'm a 'coward':bgrin:!
After removing the vynil and blasting the top I discovered some rust at the junction ot the two drips that had been 'repaired' before so I had to decide to keep 'em in place....:angry:. I don't want to weeken the roof more than as is....
So... the drips will be painted flat black as the top and I won't put back the chromed moldings so when you look at the car it doesn't jump at your face as it was!
Maybe one day if I 'grow up' a little with bodywork I'll think about it again...

I've removed drip rails on a ranger and I found that the best way to do it is to cut a small 3-4in section then weld the seam solid as you go. If you just cut more then likey your roof will pop apart and you will be sick trying to get the roof back straight again. Not an easy mod but looks clean when finished just take your time grinding your weld and you wond need bondo.

A friend did that to his Camaro, my impression was it was a mess to weld back together, then a bunch of bodywork to get it right again. Ted

Hi, thanks for opinions guys... Actually it's after reading several threads on other boards (Chevys/Fords...) talking about all this job: grind/weld+grind/weld+grind/w.... that it made myself clear that I was not the men to do this alone..:bgrin:
So I took the simple way for the moment but maybe one day....

Back