Steering to light

Wally 62

I have a 62 LeSabre with a 401 nailhead and the steering is to light, is there a way to do anything with the power steering pump to tighten up the steering

I know I had a '52 with "light steering", it turned out to be a broken spring in the hydraulic assist in the upper part of the steering box. I took one spring to a spring shop and they built me a new set.

Be aware that too much negative caster will also make the steering too light, especially when driving. Someone may have set it this way because the steering was too stiff. Think of a shopping cart and how the front wheels flop around to make the cart easier to turn; same principal. If you have a good alignment shop in your area have them check this and make sure it is within specs for your car...you could also set it more positive to make the steering less light if you choose to do so...Just a thought.

Last edited:
Be aware that too much negative caster will also make the steering too light, especially when driving. Someone may have set it this way because the steering was too stiff. Think of a shopping cart and how the front wheels flop around to make the cart easier to turn; same principal. If you have a good alignment shop in your area have them check this and make sure it is within specs for your car...you could also set it more positive to make the steering less light if you choose to do so...Just a thought.
The negative caster was that there were more dirt roads before so it would be easier to steer. You can browse the caster specs on later vehicles and make an assessment on the positive value you select. Before you do the alignment, you should check for worn tie-rods, center link, etc. I think there would be play in the steering box before the pump.

All good thoughts above.
I have a '61 LeSabre that was WAY too loose.
What I did was trim the inner bushing on the strut rod rounded with a wire wheel on a bench grinder about a 1/4", but keeping the inner diameter the same.
This can ONLY be done with Poly strut rod/brake reaction rod bushings.
Putting the shaved bushing in the rear.
What this does is pull the lower control arm forward by1/4" for a more positive caster setting.
Set the Caster as far to the plus side as possible.
+2* or more. +4* IF possible.
Anything more than this will be harder to achieve but do it IF possible.
This has so many positive attributes I don't remember them all.
Set the camber to "0" +or- 1/4* & and toe in between the specs.
The steering will be tighter, the wheel will come back to center easier, will track down the road straighter so you DON,T have to constantly steer/correct the car, the car is now being led by the front wheels instead of being pushed by the rear.
Try it I know you'll like it.

On a '62 you ALSO have the option of a faster ratio box as it is mounted to the inside of the frame unlike my '61 which is mounted to the outside of the frame.

Tom T.

Back