wiring problem

1970 skylark

whats up fellas i have a 70 skylark i am having problems with my distributor the car would be riding then it would began to give out a little bit(feel it in the pedal) then the car might backfire in the exhaust more than the carburator,then the car would just shut off i could be going 70mph on the expressway then the car woul just cut off all the electrical stuff still worked. Then i would try to crank it up sometimes it would crank but sometimes it won't i will wait abou 10 or 15 minutes then it will crank. I replaced the rotor,coil,cap,module,etc, then i checked the wiring the wire running from the firewall to the starter and distributor the part that goes to the distributor was broke and someone used a piece of wire to connect that with the piece that hook up to the distributor could that be my problem and how do i fix it?
Can i run a wire from the battery straight to the distributor?

Darius, I had a hard time following what you described. Does this car have an HEI ignition?

Why won't it crank? Is it a heat problem (i.e. tough/slow cranking), or an electrical problem (i.e. nothing happens when you turn the key)?

If it won't crank, why are you replacing parts of the distributor?

What part of the distributor was broken?

Perhaps you can clarify...

Thanks,

-Bob Cunningham
bobc@gnttype.org

p.s. some punctuation would help make your post more readable

i think i found my problem maybe you can help me fix it the wire running from the firewall to the distributor was broke and someone TRIED to rewire it and it was coming apart, i have been told that i need a continuos 12 volts what can i hook the wire up too? Which fuse can i hook it to or is there anything else that i can hook it up too?

Back