1956 Buick: pulling the engine and transmission...

johnnyb56

The timing chain in my Buick jumped a tooth and after disassembling the front end, I've decided to pull the engine and tranny to rebuild them both, as they are most likely due at this point. I was wondering if it is possible to unbolt the tranny from the "torque tube" and pull them together from the engine compartment? I really don't want to goof around with the enclosed driveshaft unless necessary. If you guys have any tips I'd sure appreciate them.
Thanks,
- John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1956 Buick Special, Model 41
1962 GMC 1-Ton, 305 V-6
1966 Chrysler New Yorker
1976 Plymouth Volare

Pulling engine

HI
I had my transmission rebuilt at a shop. From what I understand they pull the rear end back after uncoupling from the transmission. This allows the transmission to be pulled. I have read a couple of articles on this that state to be very carfull to mark the flywheel where the tourqe converter is attached. Also there are several articles detailing problems with the pump going out after putting back togeather due to improper cleareance between the tranny and engine.
Here is a copy of that info " A potential problem that would take place at installation, when the transmission is bolted to the block, there must be clearance between the torque converter and the flywheel of between 1/8" and 3/16". If the torque converter can't be pushed back to give this clearance, it will destroy the pump quickly." I hope this is usefull.

Kerry

HI
I found some other info on this site from "suntreemcanic". He says ---

The rear of the car must be on jack stands. Then you can run a chain between the rear bumper supports and attach a come-along to the middle of the chain. Wrap another chain around the differential and attach the other end of the come-along to it. Make certain you are not damaging the fuel tank and if all the bolts are removed, the rear end will come back 3 or 4 inches. Caution do not get you hands between the torque tube and the bottom of the car. When the tube separates from the transmission that end may "move" upward! Good Luck and think SAFE!!! Another thought if the chains or come-along are hitting the fuel tank use a 4x4 between rear bumper supports and run the chains under the 4x4, that will give the fuel tank clearance.

I hope this helps you out.

Back