1957 Water pump

Jiraola

Hi,

I'm looking for a replacement for my 1957 364 water pump. I have part 1168115 which only has one inlet. When I look at parts online most if not all of the 1957 water pumps have a large inlet and a smaller one (for heat I believe). I think my heat outlet is on the water manifold above the pump.

Can anybody help me confirm that this is the correct pump? It seems this part was the pump for the 322.

Thanks

Jose

When looking at bnj322's link, it appears as though '57 was a change over year. It looks like the cast iron pumps with one inlet and no heater outlet, were probably early and the aluminum ones with both an inlet and heater outlet were late. I don't see any numbers to confirm this, but pumps are generally considered interchangeable: https://www.teambuick.com/reference/nailhead_part_interchange.php

Interchangeable does not mean they are perfect for any specific application, only that they will work on the engine.

an excess inlet ( vacuum ) would not impact the pump action at all.

simply cap off the secondary inlet and don't worry about it.

more of a concern is if the pulley would line up with the existing accessories on the engine.

Jose,
The 1958 Buick Product School Manual indicates the pump was redesigned that year to add the small inlet for the heater core return. The heater core return line was brought back to the radiator on 1957s. The change allows the heater hose to be located away from the front suspension. Additionally, the 1958 pump utilizes an aluminum cover instead of cast iron.

Buick parts books from the early sixties show the original single inlet 1957 pump #1388020 was replaced by the 1958 pump #1391812. Instructions there indicate to cap off the unused heater inlet with a rubber cap #1191141 when using the 1958 type pump on 1957 models. The 1391812 pump fits all 1957s, 1958s w/o AC, and early 1958s with A/C.

There is a second 1958 type pump #1388399 for late serial number cars with A/C. The hub has a boss machined into it that is not present on the other pumps.

These are part numbers for complete pumps with cover gasket. So casting numbers do not match part numbers. Many vendors selling pumps do seem to keep track of the casting numbers.

Back