1970 Skylark wont start

I have a 1970 skylark 350 and I just installed a ACCEL - Points Eliminator Kit. Now It wont start after hours of trouble shooting. Here is what I have tried so far:

Checked ignition power source its at 6.4V switch on and 9.6V cranking.
Double checked timing and wire placement.
Pulled all plugs and cleaned them. Checked to see if plugs had spark.

I think the coil might be faulty. I pulled the main wire from the coil that goes to the distributor cap. It didn't pop or crack from spark.

If you have any advice please can you help me??

I just purchased a matched coil for the eliminator kit. I should have it by Thursday. Still if anyone has any input, that will be greatly appreciated.

It just turns over, there is no sign of spark. Also thanks for the reference, I will go through it and report my results.

Last edited:
That's actually not a dumb question. The only ground wire that is required for the accel kit is grounded to the block. I checked the ignition switch and it was grounded correctly. Thanks for the input.

New coil arrived today.... quick install. Still no spark :angry:. Tore the accel kit off, placed points back on. Would you have guessed the car started right up. I'm going to comb the forums to see what people have been using.

Back