225 V6 oil pressure help!

Mike225

Hi, I'm new to this site, so i dont know if im posting in the right section, but can anybody help me figure out what to do with the low oil pressure in my 225 v6. It has an oil pressure of about 20 at idle, and when the rpms go up, it really doesn't go up much at all. I read somewhere that it should be around 33 Ibs. @ 2400 RPM. Any advice is appreciated

I just rebuilt the motor with my brother. Just did the break-in process for the cam then put about 10 miles on after that, so it's fresh.

Mike,

I would try another (good) oil pressure gage on it before anything else. Then, start with the pressure relief spring to see if the relief is stuck or the spring is compromised. After that it could be the pick-up tube to pan clearance or clogging, pick-up tube to block gasket/bolt tightness, pump housing wear, pump to gear clearance, pump gears or a problem with the with the filter or filter seal. Then we move on to bearing clearance or gallery plug issues in the block. I hope it is one of the simple fixes. I would also suggest a bottle of ZDP for the missing zinc in the current oils.

HTH :wavey:

Ok thanks a lot for the great advice, and if the pressure relief spring isn't compromised, could I just try a little bigger spring to bring the oil pressure up, or could that possibly start a leak?

Try stretching your spring out a little as a temporary fix or to help diagnose the problem. I had part of a tooth from a nylon cam gear hold my bypass open a little once. It took a while to figure it out, but it was a simple fix. Spring kits may be available from the chain stores (Melling), and TA performance will have them if all else fails. They also have an adjustable relief kit if you want to go really fancy!

They use the same rocker arms as the 215, 300 and 340. They have complete sets here: http://www.rockerarms.com/pages/gm.html, or there are replacement arms and shafts here: http://www.buickfarm.net/ (search rocker arm). Kantner and Egge also seem to have replacement assemblies. Maybe you can compare and save.

So you can buy the complete sets from Rocker Arms Unlimited, because when I contacted them to see how much they were it sounded like they just rebuilt them

Hi Mike, I have a set of 225 heads with the rockers and shafts left over from my old 64 Special parts car I used to have. A guy out in CA was going to buy the heads and then didn't need them. You can have these rockers and shafts for $20.00 total for both sides plus shipping if you'd like to use these in the mean time. If you're interested let me know.

Hi Mike, I have a set of 225 heads with the rockers and shafts left over from my old 64 Special parts car I used to have. A guy out in CA was going to buy the heads and then didn't need them. You can have these rockers and shafts for $20.00 total for both sides plus shipping if you'd like to use these in the mean time. If you're interested let me know.

Do they have any cracks or anything wrong with them? If they don't I would probably like to have them!

Here are 2 pics of the one bank of rockers (the other bank is still bolted to the it'other head in a sealed box). Take a look and let me know if this looks OK. To me I didn't see any warning signs of anything wrong. Plus, back in the fall I sold the pushrods from this engine to someone and all 12 were nice and straight so no evidence of problems in the past. Let me know if you'd still like them.

EDIT its telling me i exceeded my attachment quota (?) so send me an email address to send these pictures to. thanks.

Hi Mike rocker assemblies are on their way. I sent you an email and thought I sent a pm (does this site automatically delete sent pm's?)

Timing Cover Gasket

You need to check to ensure you have the correct timing cover gasket. Check each and every hole in the cover, gasket and block to ensure all are lined up and correct/open. I had this same problem with my 66 Special 225. Took my eagle eye dad to figure out I had the wrong timing cover gasket after I replaced the chain, gears and oil pump. If I remember right there are two different gaskets for the timing cover? Maybe different for even and odd fire engines?

Todd

You need to check to ensure you have the correct timing cover gasket. Check each and every hole in the cover, gasket and block to ensure all are lined up and correct/open. I had this same problem with my 66 Special 225. Took my eagle eye dad to figure out I had the wrong timing cover gasket after I replaced the chain, gears and oil pump. If I remember right there are two different gaskets for the timing cover? Maybe different for even and odd fire engines?

Todd

We got the Fel-Pro gasket kit for the whole engine, so I would think it would be right, but I will definitely check it out

Back