41 Special Sedanette 52 261

Greetings

I bought a 1941 Special Sedanette complete minus the driveline. I have now found a 51 261 rolling chassis with a running driveline. It is still the small Straight 8, what differences will there be between the 41 248 and the 51 261? is it a drop in replacement? 3 speed too? Also, the original 248 was the compound carburetion engine and I have read up on these manifolds and they appear to be adaptable to the 261 so what are the major differences?

Please help!

Yeah, sorry it's a 263. In 51 were they still casting them with the front motor mount boss to retrofit them into a 41? This is my big question.

263 install

I put a 53, 263 in a 39 Special, the only thing i recall was
the fan was not centered so had to have shorter fan blades.
Need a 41 special 248 front mount plate and the compound carb manifold should fit. Thats just by memory you can find more info here.

Last edited:
Thank you Cent,

I will have to look at what I have in the buckets for that front plate, where does it attach? also the 3speed, does it just bolt to the bell housing and the bell housing sit on a cross-member?

the front mount on 41,s is a plate behind the timing gears, bolts to the block, rear mounts from each side of the bellhousing, as i recall. The 263 front mounts were on each side of the block. the side mounts interfere with a dual carb exhaust manifolds but not front mts..

Last edited:
Front mount

39 Cent. What must be done to bolt the front mount on the 51 in order to put the duel carb manifold on the engine???

Cent

Thanks man- scored it. The thing is am I going to need a whole timing cover? the timing cover has no provision for a plate to either be sandwiched between it and the block, or space.

Back