'56 Buick Special Carb Question

johnnyb56

The orig. carb in my '56 Special is shot because there's too much play in the bushings. This is a 2 barrel carb,(Stromberg model WW7-105), and since Stromberg is defunkt, i've been having trouble finding an exact NOS or rebuilt one readily available. So, here's my question: Would any other WW type carbs work? Or is there some equivalent currently being mfd. by Edelbrock, Carter, or Holley that would fit my intake manifold and linkage setup?

Note: I have already considered having bushings drilled and replaced, but, it would be cheaper to get a new one in the long run
-Thanks,
John B.

I am also the owner of a '56 Special.
I have a 2 barrel Carter Carb.
Whatever carb you have you can send it out to be re-built.
There are a lot of options that you have to take into considerations.
The "push pedal to start for one.
There is a little metal ball that travels through a runway that makes the whole thing work.
Substitution complicates matters as well as achieving the desired results.
I would contimplate a rebuild as opposed to a replacement.

You're right. Keeping that car as reasonably original as possible has been my goal. I'd really hate to make more work trying to switch to a different one. Much thanks for the advice, Tom.

-John B.

Hi
I have the two carbs. One is still on the manifold and the throttle is stuck. The other one I got last year with a rolling frame and all the stuff that came off of it. It looks good and I cleaned it up. It is the exact numbers as yours. It has the starter switch on it. It is good to have an extra one of those anyway. I can not vouch for its integrity, but it looks and feels good. If you want to dicker you can email me at . Fix that address. They do not like you to post email addresses do to bots searching for addresses. Or I think you may be able to email through this site. If I get your email I will mail you back with a picture or two. Otherwise I will list it on Ebay.
Thanks
Kerry

Last edited:
HI
I have not heard back from johnnyb56 so I guess he does not want the carb.
I guess I will get a kit and put in it and place it on Ebay.

Problem Solved

I'm sorry I couldn't respond, my darn computer's been broken for a few weeks.

Anyhow, An aquaintance of mine heard about my problems, and he took my carb and machined new bushings. I also bought a kit and rebuilt it. It all seems to be working great, now. Thank you, everyone, for your help and advice.

- John B.

Back