61 Buick Skylark rear end

Purchased this 61 Buick Skylark with what appears to be less than 50,000 actual mileage. Had a clunking in the rear end. Replaced u joints due to clunking then noticed that the housing itself was very hot so thinking it was pinion bearing, had the rear end opened up with the the thought of replacing pinion and carrier bearings. Upon opening up the read end, found the oil to be very thick and crusted to the interior differential housing.

Cleaned that mess up, had bearings replaced and now have quite a bit of howling after reassembly and using clean fluid. also rebuilt the drive shaft cv join and had it balanced.

thinking that the previous owner probably used sawdust or something to quiet the rear end down in order to sell it. Probably requires complete rebuild but not sure of parts. Does anyone have a source to recommend for rebuilding or finding a replacement? Car is in great shape otherwise.

There is virtually no support for that rear that I know of. You may be able to swap in something else, but fabrication will be required. I came across this in my reaearch,

You could check with Jim Mitchke, he is Monzaz on V8buick,

There is virtually no support for that rear that I know of. You may be able to swap in something else, but fabrication will be required. I came across this in my reaearch,

You could check with Jim Mitchke, he is Monzaz on V8buick,

thanks Larry. I was afraid that might be the case. I joined the V8buick forum so waiting for the registration to be confirmed then will reach out to Monzaz

Is the Chevy II rear end about the same width? Most those have 4 bolt lug nut. Does the skylark use a 4 bolt pattern? Direct swap would by far be the easiest.

Back