64-67 Cadillac transmission?

raycow

Experienced Member
Does anyone here know what the bellhousing looks like on the Cad TH400 for these years? The 429 engine does not have a BOP bellhousing pattern like the 68-up engines.

I have "heard" that Cad used a nailhead case with an adapter between the case and the engine. This seems reasonable since Cad produced a lot fewer cars than Buick, but I haven't seen any documentation to support this. So far, I haven't found a car I can crawl under for a peek or even a picture to look at.

Naturally, my reason for asking is to see if there is another source for nailhead cases or transmissions

Ray

Last edited:
Don't know about the Caddy, but the, I think, '76-'79 Jeep Grand Wagoneer's used the Nail Trans. & also the Rolls Royce. Probably won't find many Rolls in salvage yards.

Tom, thanks for the tip on the Jeep. I'll check that one out and pass on the Rolls.

Ray

Last edited:
I have a 66 Cadillac and I am curious as well. Next time i change oil, I'm going to take a look. If you need a nailhead ST400 I have several here in Cincinnati

Ted, when you look at your Cadillac, (if it doesn't use an adaptor) could I also ask you to see whether the starter is bolted to the engine block or to the transmission case?

Thank you for your nailhead ST400 offer, but I don't think I'm ready to ship a transmission from Cincinnati to San Francisco just yet.

Ray

Last edited:
I've heard mention Ray that only the '64 Cad used the adapter for the "Nail" trans. In '65 the block was changed for a normal BOP pattern. I don't know how true this is, but I have a customer with a '65 Eldo Conv. & that has a regular BOP trans. bellhousing bolt pattern. That I know for SURE.

Ahhh - so the adaptor story is true, but only for one year. Thanks for clearing that up, Tom.

Ray

Last edited:
Just rebuild the one you have. Much less hassle involved. They've been around for many years & although the '64/400 is a one year only as far as case & valve body go they are pretty inexpensive to rebuild. Heck, you could do it yourself if you have some common mechanical skills. There's enough info on line or at V8Buick.com there's a pictorial rebuild of one. A shop shouldn't charge more than $400-$600 for an average rebuild not needing any hard parts.

Back