Buick 350 Heads

What is The best buick 350 head to use for my 350 buildup? Im kinda tryin to build a GS 350 Clone. The block is a 1970. so what do i need to build a liget gs 350 engine.

Last edited:
350 heads

What year block do you have?

The 350 heads are pretty much all the same as far as performance ability. You probably want 71 or 72 heads to work with. Earlier heads had a tendency to crack.
Mark.

crack heads

I think is was something to do with the exhaust cross over. Not real sure. We were looking at building a 350 Buick for the drag car, so we looked in to some of the details, and now we think we will stay with the 455 for the race car.

We may put a turbocharger on a 350 for our 72 GSX clone for street fun and fuel economy.

was there a reason for the earlier heads to crack? overheating?
Any way to stop this from happening?

There is an extra coolant passage in the 73-80 heads that solved the cracking issue. If you use the later heads on a 70 block you need to block the passages or you will have coolant leak into your oil. The later blocks cover the extra passages so if you block the passages you will still get the better heads less likely to crack. Look for 76 and later heads that may have larger 1.55 exhaust valves, but block the extra emissions ports they have.

Back