Buick 455 spark plugs

I have a 72 455 buick engine with edelbrock aluminum heads 10.6 :1 compression .plan on driving reg on street .my question is what spark plugs would be best to run.cam has
.050 tappet lift.730 quick flow carb

It will run well with the AC 44TS as they are the correct heat range for the engine. The NGK are also a good alternative and usually cheaper. Do you know that AC Delco do not make their own spark plugs? The AC Delco spark plug which has a smooth ceramic outside surface is made by Bosch and if the surface is "ribbed" it is made by Champion. The only hope here is that AC Delco ensure that these manufacturers maintain quality control. Take care John

Autolite seem to have lost their way in the spark plug market and not what they used to be. They are along way behind their 'sister' Ford spark plug Motorcraft. It would be interesting to find out where these are made and by whom? NGK have always been good and seem to suit the Asian cars well and will do the job for most other makes and models. In my old age I tend to stick with the manufacturer's recommended spark plugs for makes and models. Gone are the days when workshops displayed spark plug heat range charts for all manufacturers and cars which we used regularly. You can get away using the cheaper copper core plugs if you are only driving your car two or three thousand miles a year and cruising most places. However if you are wanting performance and power you may want to buy the "double platinum" cores or the iridium options. They will last much longer. Rock Auto always seem to have a good range of spark plug options and are usually cheaper than most suppliers.

You can't run a tapered seat plug in Edelbrock heads. It is a flat seat plug with a gasket. I have TA Performance Aluminum heads, same type of plug. I run the NGK FR-5 spark plug. It is a projected nose plug with a heat range close to an AC Delco R43TS. Been running them for 8 years now, recommended by the engine builder. Rockauto has the best price,

NGK plugs also have plated threads, making anti seize unnecessary. You can also use the NGK BP_ ES plugs that come in heat ranges from 4-9. Higher numbers are cooler.

I like the FR-5. The projected nose places the gap deeper in the chamber, and in theory, projected nose plugs have a wider heat range. They burn really nice in my engine. I have 10.54:1 static compression, a small roller cam, SP1 intake, MT headers, 3" X pipe exhaust, and Quadrajet or Holley 1000 DP carburetor.

Thanks for you help
NGK plugs also have plated threads, making anti seize unnecessary. You can also use the NGK BP_ ES plugs that come in heat ranges from 4-9. Higher numbers are cooler.

I like the FR-5. The projected nose places the gap deeper in the chamber, and in theory, projected nose plugs have a wider heat range. They burn really nice in my engine. I have 10.54:1 static compression, a small roller cam, SP1 intake, MT headers, 3" X pipe exhaust, and Quadrajet or Holley 1000 DP carburetor.

Back