buick oddfire 225 v6 stroker kit

Oddfire

does anyone know where i can find an oddfire v6 stroker kit? i have found many for even fire engines but none for oddfire nd i would like to retain the stock oddfire

thanks in advance

does anyone know where i can find an oddfire v6 stroker kit? i have found many for even fire engines but none for oddfire nd i would like to retain the stock oddfire

thanks in advance

I spent some time looking at possibilities.
It appears to be a nodular iron crank with 2.00 rod journals.
If this is the case than welding and offset grinding is not an easy solution but still may be possible.
I could not find a steel crank for odd fire.
Have you come up with any ideas?

How much different is the odd fire 231 cranks?? The Jeep world must have created odd-fire stroker kits for them. I would think that the Jeep community would be a better resource for information on this. The old Jeep Dauntless V6 engine is the Buick engine.

The following two links will provide you with many answers to your equally high number of questions along the way.

http://www.earlycj5.com/technical/engines/dauntless-225-v6buick-231-oddfire/

http://www.earlycj5.com/technical/e...bers-internal-specs-for-most-years-and-notes/

Obviously the information in those links should only be used for reference and should be confirmed by you, but it does show the same crank shaft used in the 225 (which is Odd fire) being used in the odd-fire 231 engines. There had to of been a company making stroker cranks for the Jeep guys back then.

I hope this helps, good luck, and keep us updated with your findings.

thanks in advance

If you don't care about keeping the original block you could explore the possibility of installing the odd fire crank in a 1980-1984 4.1 block.

The 4.1 can accommodate a 4.00 inch piston and will give you 256 inch odd fire motor.

Someone is going to say "Put the 3.625 even fire stroker crank in the 4.1 with a 4 inch piston and have a 273 inch motor and don't worry about the odd fire."

Last edited:
How much different is the odd fire 231 cranks?

different from what? the even fire crank?

WAY different. there are twice as many rod throws on an even fire crank, one for each piston.

thanks i might start looking for a 4.1 block and think about putting the oddfire crank in that because i think the oddfire sounds cool.... or possibly running a supercharger with a conservative amount of boost... any thoughts on a supercharger???

thanks i might start looking for a 4.1 block and think about putting the oddfire crank in that because i think the oddfire sounds cool.... or possibly running a supercharger with a conservative amount of boost... any thoughts on a supercharger???

The supercharger is always a good way to make HP.
With 6 lbs of boost you can usually keep stock engine components and have up to 40% increase in power.

The easiest and cheapest supercharger to install is the centrifugal type like the Procharger.
It also allows easy installation of an intercooler to cool the compressed air for more efficient operation and to help prevent detonation on pump gas.
There isn’t any hood clearance issue when used with a blow through carburetor.
The centrifugal supercharger makes boost in proportion to engine rpm.

The twin screw supercharger makes full boost at low engine rpm and maintains that level for the rest of the rpm range.
The 3 main brands are Whipple, Kenne Bell and Lysholm.

All 3 screw type have a bypass valve so when boost is not needed the valve is open requiring less than 1 hp to turn the supercharger.
Unless there is a complete kit available, custom installation is a lot of work and expensive.
There is usually not enough hood clearance for a carburetor sitting on top of the supercharger, so EFI is used to keep from violating the hood.

The Magnacharger/Eaton supercharger is a hybrid cross between the roots style and the screw type superchargers and is also very efficient.

The 1991 -1995 3800 used the M62 Eaton supercharger with EFI and could possibly be made to fit on the 231. The even fire EFI is not compatible with the odd fire order.
You would need an EFI for a V8 and not use 2 of the injector outputs.

The 3800 went through a block change after 1995 and became the series II.

This is just a brief summary to help you decide on a direction.

Last edited:
thanx im looking towards a screw type because i eventually plan on efi and i really need the boost at low rpm... does anyone know of a company that makes complete kits for the oddfire?

thanx im looking towards a screw type because i eventually plan on efi and i really need the boost at low rpm... does anyone know of a company that makes complete kits for the oddfire?

Why not go with a 3.8L supercharged EFI engine? i would run it off a megasquirt computer to get full control... Way less messing around and you can find the 3.8L supercharged engines everywhere....

i would but i like the oddfire rumble... and i dont feel like having to yank all of the old wiring and i would rather start with all new parts and self tuning efi.... im not trying to build a race car just something reliable that has some power on reserve

I couldn't find any supercharger kits for any of the Buick V6s, probably because GM already produced the V6 with a supercharger.

Your best bet is to look at installing the odd fire crank and cam into a 1991-1995 3800 supercharged engine.

Second choice would be to try putting the Buick supercharger top end on an odd fire block or some variation.

In any case you need to find a supercharged engine to use the parts for your project.
You can send the stock Buick (Eaton) supercharger in to be upgraded or see about using the newest generation version.

Paul

thanks guys... for now i might try just to get it running... and then maybe later ill be able to piece together some parts... but in the mean time anyone who feels like giving their feedback, all advice is appreciated

Back