Dynaflow will not go

I have a 58 special that ran around fine but the kick downlinkage was missing. I had to remove the motor for rebuild after that Ipurchased a kick down linkage hooked up and went for a ride. The car ran withno problems but after about 20 min I stopped at a light and when I went to goit did not take off like it did before. The next day I went to go around theblock and the car would not go. I checked the fluid and found it to be a quartand a half low. I filled up the tranny and when I put it into drive you feelthe car lounge forward but will not go.
The car works fine in low and reverse neutral and park. Ifshifting from N-D the motor drops in RPM half way between the shift and the carseems to be in gear but will not go. Can someone give me an insight to what maybe wrong? The tranny shops around my area only want to ripe it open and chargeme big$ for it. And they never worked on one before.

Hi Jim's 58. On the Dynaflows in '57 and '58, I remember there was a very specific way to adjust the shift linkage. They have a whole page devoted to the adjustment in the shop manual. You have to follow the book carefully. I don't want to retype the whole thing here but if you cant find a shop manual, I will. I've looked at my shop manual to jog my memory on some other things. Maybe some of this stuff will help you. When the car will not move in 'drive' only, they mention problems with the high accumulator. When shifting from 'low' to 'drive' and the shift is abnormally rough or slips, they again mention the high accumulator. The high accumilator is the thing on the side of the transmission that the kick down linkage hooks to. It's linkage too has to be adjusted just right. You said that you had used the car with no kickdown linkage installed. That means that the high accumilator was not being effected. It also means that you might have been running around with the varible pitch (kickdown) perminetly engaged because the accumulator obviously was in one position or the other and not being moved. And, you don't really know if you were in varible pitch or not. Now that you have hooked up the accumulator you have disturbed it and I think you are going to find your problem involves the adjustment of both linkages and the condition of the high accumulator and it's gaskets. Get a shop manual and read it carefully and you might be able to fix it yourself. One thing comes to mind though. You drove it one day and it was fine. The next day it was a quart and a half low. How did that happen? You probably have a bad seal on the output shaft or in the torque ball. You probably have a quart and a half of ATF inside the torque tube. It will start leaking on the floor so that you can spot it. Also, a quart and a half low is enough to make the car not go. They are very sensitive to fluid levels. One more thing. I would not go to someone without any Dynaflow experience and without having an understanding up front about charges. A guy could get that thing scattered all over the shop and through his hands up, and you will be out looking for a transmission guy carring around a box of trans parts. Dynaflows are very good transmissions and they are very tough. But, They have a lot of different aspects about them from their contemporarys and when you figure most tranny guys wern't born when that transmission was made, well it's easy to see why it's hard to find qualified mechanics to fix them. If you find a guy thats known to be a good trans guy, and can get him a shop manual, preferably a genuine Buick one, you will probably be OK. Parts won't be a problem, look through Hemmings. I really hope this all helps rather than confuses. Good luck.:wavey:

PS. You might hear a lot of negative stuff about Dynaflows. Most of it will be things that guys are just repeating and have no personal experience themselfs. Dynaflows are among the very best transmissions in snow and mud. They are great for pulling trailers. I first broke into drag racing in the mid '50's with Dynaflow equipped Buicks and we were always competitive, and won our share of races. Our '55 and '56 cars ran in the upper 80's just bumping 90mph. My '57 car (66R) had a best time of 94.38 mph. and consistently ran 91-93. Many of the strips didn't have ET clocks but I seem to remember that we were in the low 15's. Those were pretty good speeds and most of the guys we ran against were stick shifts (3 speeds). When I was a kid I accidently through my mom's '56 Century convertible in reverse at a little over 100 mph. I had forgotten all about that until my '50th class reunion a couple of years ago. One of the kids that was in the car that day reminded me of it. It didn't seem to hurt the tranny. I hope my grand kids don't find out about that. Again, good luck with your project.

Dynaflow.

My memory of the Dynaflow is a little different, I also drove my Mother's 60 LeSabre to school and slammed it into reverse at 55 mph! yes it still worked afterwords. Nader put an end to having reverse below low gear on the shift pattern and that was one good thing he did. I had a Dynaflow in my 55 F100 for many years and drag raced it, they worked OK in their day but they are far from being a good trans today.. Every time I have one rebuilt now they need everything and when I drive a customers car with a Dynaflow it reminds why I don't use them in my cars.
I think you maybe right about the passing gear linkage, that is why I asked if the carb was original? many people replace the carb with a Holley or Edelbrock without modifing the linkage and in fact the trans will be in passing gear all the time. I make a slider for the end of the linkage so the throttle moves without engaging the passing gear until the gas pedal is put to the floor.

Hi Buickrodder. Our memorys are probably not too different. I should have made myself more clear in that I was thinking in the contex of the '50's. When putting a dynaflow up against the others at that time, I'm very supportive of the Dynaflow. They made a lot of improvements up to the final stages of development in 1963 but that's when it became obsolete. If a guy really wants to know, he can drive a '63 Riv. and then a '64 Riv. What a difference the ST 400 made. I imagine that you like me have heard any number of guys badmouth the Dynaflow (and Nailheads) and they really don't know what they're talking about. Calling it junk and a slushbox. Well, that transmission accomplished everything Buick wanted it to do, comfort was the priority, not drag racing. I've been away from the Buick business for over 40 years and still feel the need to come running to Buick's defense. It's such a pleasure to talk to other Buick guys, especially knowledgable ones. By the way, I love your roadster!:thumbsup:

To all, thank you for the reply's I did try to adjust the kick down on the car and will look into it again. As for the oil after the motor was put in I failed to check the oil in the transmission. I also had the radiator flushed and oil dripped out of the lines that's where the oil went it was full when I pulled the motor. But if the hi accumulator is stuck would the car still move in drive. If it is just the accumulator that's the prob. I would take it off and fix it but if I have to change the clutches I would like to see someone else do it not very good with transmissions. As of now all gears work but drive if I went under the car and unhooked the kick down and pushed it to the rear of the car would the car move then? I will put a PSI gauge on it but I need to wait for it to warm up. thanks again Jim

Back