Estimated tow capacity for 68 GS Cal?

your towing capacity would be dependent between the size of engine and the torque of the transmission, and the weight of what has to be towed. I would add in other factors..

it's probably ok, but not for long distances or fast speeds; keep a close eye on the engine temperature and it is a good idea to have a transmission cooler and temperature gauge to keep an eye on the tranny. Buick 430s were typically refitted for towing, but a 350 would probably be ok as long as you are careful. I would definitely do a transmission service before towing if you have not done one in a while.

Tow it! Just don't launch it.

A '68 Gs would have a tow rating capable of towing that. I WOULD NOT tow that trailer without a class III hitch and air shocks or load bags to keep the bumper off the ground. Also keep in mind the design of the rear frame rails (open C-channel), My '64 two door regularly tows my 3000lb.+ jet boat however those frame rails are not the strongest when launching i.e. don't launch off of a stoplight with the tires screaming, my father did this in my car and now i am in the process of fabricating all new rear frame rails from rectangle stock to fix his destruction all in the name of beating an 86 vette. while towing a boat(yes he won). Any more q's with using your car to tow hit me up.

Last edited:
Back