Lost oil pressure

D

Dave Oliphant

Here's my dilemma: took a running 400 out of a 69 Skylark. Had 50lbs. oil pressure before engine was pulled. While a friend was helping me clean the motor on a stand, he moved the stand the wrong way causing the motor and stand to topple over damaging the oil pan and fuel pump. Replaced both and installed in car. Tried starting car last night, and there is no oil pressure. Could the impact of the motor hitting the cement floor of the garage jar anything in the oil pump area causing this problem?

Not likely. The more likely would be the oil pump pickup is damaged. Unfortunatly to check it you will have to pull the pan off which requires removing the motor.

On the other hand, maybe before you do that. When you pulled the pan off, did you remove the timing cover? If the gasket is not carefully replaced, the pump suction may have an open in the gasket.

Well, it was just the lower drivers side of the pan that was damaged, not close to the pickup. The timing cover was not removed during this. Would a weak or worn gasket in the oil pump area cause this as well? This is new to me as I was a Chevy guy previously.

Even thought he engine was just pulled, i would pack the oil pump with vaseline. When a Buick is rebuilt, this procedure MUST be followed, or you will never pull oil all the way to the pump. This is the first placed to look.

Update: car is out of the garage and running fine! Thanks again!

Back