Nailhead 322 Oil Pump Screen

:waving: Hey Nailhead Enthusiasts,

I just drained the oil and remover the pan and cleaned it out.

The Oil Pump Screen and Housing are covered in "Sludge" :eek:

I removed most of the exterior "gunk" and I noticed that the housing is attached to the base of the pump with a few screws.

Can the Housing be easily removed for a thorough and interior cleaning?
Is a gasket involved where it connects with the screws at the base of the oil pump :confused:

I want to know ahead of time what I'm up against before I get started.:eek:

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Regards,:beers:

Tom Gallagher,:shield:

Last edited:
Here is some info on a 364 pump which may help. It appears that the only gasket you are going to deal with is between the pump and the block. This should be easily made from some thin gasket material. The lower plate on many pump is scored by the gears. This can by usually cleaned up with by placing a piece of fine emery cloath on a piece of glass. Then run some varsol over it, using a parts washer for a steady supply works well for this. Then take the plate and run a figure 8 motion rotating the plate a bit each time until the score dissappear. It appears on a nailhead pump that there is an item (protrution) which will have to be removed in order to do this.
Hope this helps!:beers:

322 Oil Pump Screen

:waving: Hey Bob

Thanks for the Info.:thumbsup:

The 364 has a different set-up.

My 322 has a Goose-neck screen housing that attaces with screws to the bottom of the oil pump with a couple of screws. I
There does appear to be a small gasket between the two metal surfaces.

Tom Gallagher :shield:

The 322 engine has 3 seperate gaskets on the pump and screen. There is the oil pump body, the oil pump inlet, and the op screen housing. If you go to bestgasket.com they show the shapes of these 3 gaskets, and where you can purchase them.
:beers:

Oil Pump

:waving: Hey Jim,

I see that you are a NEW MEMBER

You have come to the Right Place.:car:

WELCOME Aboard.

And...............I see that you are already contributing, and sharing valued information. :thumbsup:

Thanks for passing along that website. It will become very usefull.
I have already taken advantage of it.:hurray:

Thanks again for the HELP!

Tom Gallagher :shield:

Back