Nailheads at the strip!!!

O.K. I don't think there is one "nailhead" in the "what will your car do" forum...

What's up!!!

This forum is for "NAILHEADS ONLY"!

What was your car and how did you perform at your local strip?

Bob,

I found this somewhere ????????????? about Bob Quigg's 66 GS Skylark. This was in October 2000 from what I can tell:

Best run To Date: 11.64 at 115.83 MPH

Body: 1966 Gran Sport hardtop, full frame not cut or notched all stock, painted Teal with black interior, all factory glass and window tracks. Only body modifications are a fiberglass hood and front bumper. Race weight with driver is 3,325 pounds

Suspension: Factory front suspension, Koni drag adjustable shocks front and rear. South Side Machine upper and lower rear control arms, air bags, factory drum brakes.

Wheels/Tires: Weld Wheels all around with Moroso Front Runners and 15 x 9 Hoosier slicks

Engine: Buick 401 bored .030 over fully prepped by Bob with blue printed factory oil pump and modified factory pan. Block decked .042, Factory cast crank, factory rod which were polished, stress relieved, piston are TRW forged aluminum 11.5 replacements with .990 tool steel wrist pins. The stroke remains at factory specs.

Camshaft: Schneider hydraulic cam advertised intake lift .522 and .544 on the exhaust with 230 duration at .050 and a 108 lobe center. These specs are measure with a 1.6 rocker ratio as Bob is using a 1.4 so the lift is considerably less.

Heads: Factory 401 heads cut .010 and extensively ported by Steve Magnotti of Yorktown, NY. 1.55 exhaust valves and 1.875 intake valves installed along with factory stock 1.4 rocker arms.

Induction System: Factory gas tank with sump installed, Holley blue pump, all lines opened to 1/2". Edlebrock aluminum dual quad intake with (2) Edlebrock 750 cfm carbs.

Ignition System: MSD 6al with HEI distributor.

Headers: Custom made with 1 3/4" primary tubes by, "Headers by Ed" in Monroe Ct. Jet-Hot coated.

Transmission: Richmond 5 speed manual transmission.

Rear: Chevy 12 bolt with Richmond 4.10 and spool

------------------
Steve B.
GSCA #2173 (1986)
67 GS 525 Stg IV
66 GS Convertible
65 GS HT
63 Riv

I also found this about Tom Telesco's 64 Riv:

Tom Telesco here. About doing some bragging on time slips with Rivs. As you probably have heard, I bought my '64 new. The best time it has ever run is a 13.98 et @ 99.98MPH. That was back in I believe July of 1973. It is basically the same today as it was back then, except back then I had just spent the good part of the winter making my own headers & making & installing a Ram Air set-up & running the same pair of slicks I still use today with the 3.90 gears.

Since then I've rebuilt the motor. Recently, in Oct. 2000, without the headers (rotted, but still have & remaking out of stainless) with the same slicks & 3.90 gears, without the Ram-Air, with an 850 dbl. pumper Holley, at Cecil County, Maryland, ran a 14.20et @ 96.68 MPH With a 1.92 60 ft. time. This is with a motor that has 180,000+ miles on it. You can see & read about it on my friend's website: www.bowtiess.com . The motor is basically stock, except I opted to use forged slipper skirt pistons & moly rings. I paid very careful attention to details, clearances, balancing, port matching, going crazy trying to find the original cam, & doing my own head work, as best as could be done with an electric drill & grinding stones. Wonder how they would flow on the bench?? No reason to take it apart, still runs too good.

I know they are many others out there in NailHead land with faster NailHead powered Rivs. One is a guy named Frank I met in Cecil County, he ran a 13.93 with his & said he has gone 13.60. His motor is pretty much modified as opposed to mine which is basically stock.

------------------
Steve B.
GSCA #2173 (1986)
67 GS 525 Stg IV
66 GS Convertible
65 GS HT
63 Riv

[This message has been edited by Dr. Frankenbuick (edited 11-21-2001).]

Back