Turbo 455

fueler191

So my skylark is moving along nicely...slowly but nicely, and i have an interesting option at hand. My girlfriend has an extra T-70 turbo with all the needed...attachment dealy things... anyway, all i need to do is get some header flanges and make custom pipes and that. However, im iffy on this matter, ive never worked on a turbo, or owned a turbo, let alone put one on a carbed car. I wonder how well it would work? anyone ever seen/done this before? im not about to get a fuel injection kit. And i def. dont want to lose my dual quad set up, any ideas on the matter?

-jeff-

Possible, but not practical in my opinion.

You would need special blow-through carbs, and custom intake plumbing to split the air from the turbo into two carb bonnets. You would also need a lot of exhaust fabrication to make the custom headers, and a fancy crossover to feed both sides of the exhaust into the turbo. You would need to get oil to the turbo, and modify your oil pan for the return. You would need to change your fuel system to have a return-style regulator with a boost reference (obviously an electric pump).

You could either fabricate a custom intercooler, or limit boost to about 6 PSI. I don't know the specs of that turbo, but ~1000 CFM at 6 PSI is a very unusual turbo for cars. (Maybe that is a turbo for semi-trucks?) 6 PSi is probably all the block can handle without coming apart.

Do you have forged pistons and a block girdle?

-Bob Cunningham

well the exhaust wouldnt be a problem, would probibly be easier to just buy another turbo and go twin, (can find one and rebuild it really cheap), as for the intercooler a universal should do the job just fine, i probibly would keep the boost around 8 and no way put it past 12. Yes i do have forged pistons but no girdle. Ill probibly not do it, and save it to toss on my mustang when the warrentys up and i rebuild the engine. I dont think i want to take the time and money needed to mod this car more then i have had to do as it is. Thanks for the info~ Ill let you guys know what i end up doing with the thing,

-jeff-

By the way, I wasn't trying to discourage you- I think it would be an awesome project. I just wanted to make sure you knew there would be a lot of work involved!

Best of luck whichever direction you go, and if you do pursue it then be sure to post on the board so we can help.

-Bob C.

maybe down the line ill look into it, to be honest i was discouraging myself more then anything. I really wanted to save it and use it on my mustang, give the crappy 4.0 235hp engine some accual kick to go along with all the body mods ive done to make it look nice. Not to mention the lark will def be fast enough for my blood as it is...im going to have issues keeping the tires healthy i dont need another reason to fuel it :rod:
either way thanks for the imput, ill get some current resto pics of the skylark up soon

take care~
-jeff-

Back