What is the best brand of spark plugs for a 322 Nailhead?

johnnyb56

Well, the other day I looked at my plugs, and they are shot. Then I realized I was out of the N.O.S. AC 44 plugs I bought at a swap-meet. So, I wondered what everyone else uses in thier 322 engines?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"When better cars are built, BUICK will build them."

Last edited:
Cool! Champion's the brand I prefer, anyway!:bgrin:
Thanks!
-Johnny B.
"When better cars are built, BUICK will build them."

Well, Nails are sensitive to spark plugs. Extended tip spark plugs to be exact. Champions had a horrible reputation for burning holes in Buick pistons because of the extended tip putting the fire too close the the piston dome. If you can find a Champion plug with the same heat range as the AC and does not have a tip that is extended farther than the stock AC then I would go ahead and use it. I don't have anything against Champion plugs, I have used many of their racing plugs in my stock car engines. But I also believe that the Nailhead combustion chamber is not designed for extended tip plugs, which most Champions are.

Well, I got the new plugs in. Advance Auto was out of the Champion and AC Delco plugs, so I bought AutoLite #85 plugs. so far, so good! And again, thanks for the advice, guys! :bgrin:

-Johnny B.
1956 Buick Special Model 41
1969 GMC 1500
1979 Lincoln Continental sedan

Back