Front Seat Back "Braided Rope Hand Grabs"

:waving: Hey Mid 50's Enthusiasts

Generally Speaking as a young child, I vividly remember the Rope Hand Holds
that were anchored the the Front Seat Backs for assistance geting in and out of the Rear Seat.

I have a 1956 Buick Special 2 door Hardtop with the "Riviera" Package Model 46R.

Does any othere enthusiast know if those Braided Rope Hand Holds an Option? :confused: or Where can they be purchased.

Thanks in advance for Your Assistance.:thumbsup:

Regards, :beers:

Tom Gallagher :shield:

I am sure they varied from one make to the other, but I remember them being covered with upholstry to match the seat.

And I thought they were for us kids to swing on!

:waving: Hey Probesport,

Thanks for the response and contribution!

Nice Picture.

Great Interior :thumbsup:

I see that you have a "Straight BENCH SEAT"

I would imagine that you have a 4 door.

I'm interested in the History of a 2 Door Hard Top Interior with the "Fold Down Split Front Seats" for access to the Rear Seating Area.

Thanks for the "Refresher Course"

Regards, :beers:

55 buick roadmaster 2 door hardtop interior

hi i have a 55 2 door riviera Roadmaster with split folding front seat and my seat back handels are trimed to match the seat material i had blue and white viynil and the grabs were blue sorry about spelling regards Baz

Last edited:
Buick Interior

:waving: Hey GBF and Baz

Thanks for the Valued Information.:thumbsup:

I have the Black & Red Two Tone combo Interior also

I wonder if that particular option is now available "After Market"

I would like to add them to my car if possible!:cool:

If any member is able to supply any information on the subject it would be GREATLY Appreciated!:hurray:

Regards,:beers:

Tom Gallagher

"rope holds"

Hi Tom... you're name looks familiar ;)

Not sure where I remember seeing this, but those "rope holds" on the rear of your front seats were refererred to as where "a lady would hold and hang her gloves and scarf whilst traveling..." Something like that that. Vanity ropes maybe? They have a chain link core and are fairly securely mounted. They should be the "lighter" of the two tone color pattern for your car (each trim pattern has a light/dark combination), using the same material plain material (not patterned) used on the body of the seats.

Cheers,
Budd

:waving: Hey BUDD

How You Doin'

I see that You are a NEW MEMBER!

WELCOME ABOARD!

You have come to the Right Place

Could it be that You know Me from your Marvelous Web-site.:hurray:

Thanks for the Info and History Lesson regarding the Braided Ropes :thumbsup:

Highest Regards,:beers:

Last edited:
Robe Rails

The "braided ropes" on the front seat backs are really robe rails. In older days when heaters were optional, these were to hang the car robes or blankets on when not in use. Cars from the 1950s were not braided rope, but were upholstered rubber hoses with chains through them. The upholstery matched one of the materials inside the car, and could be either cloth or vinyl, although the hardtops were usually vinyl. Sometimes the robe rails matched the windlace, which is the upholstered round rubber cord that goes around the door openings to lessen the wind noise. If you want new robe rails made, try Fryer's Auto Upholstery Kits on-line at www.autoupholsterykits.com . I founded that business 38 years ago, and sold it to the current owner a couple of years ago. The guys there are terriffic and can make virtually any upholstery item. I highly recommend them.

Thank you Ron... makes perfect sense. I could recall that they served a "usefull function", and your explanation fills that gap. Responses like this one need to go into the collective knowlege bucket so the next time someone asks, we can give a more intelligent answer versus the "I thinks" and the "Not sure but I seem to recall" ones :)

Cheers,
Budd

rcfryer said:
The "braided ropes" on the front seat backs are really robe rails. In older days when heaters were optional, these were to hang the car robes or blankets on when not in use. Cars from the 1950s were not braided rope, but were upholstered rubber hoses with chains through them. The upholstery matched one of the materials inside the car, and could be either cloth or vinyl, although the hardtops were usually vinyl. Sometimes the robe rails matched the windlace, which is the upholstered round rubber cord that goes around the door openings to lessen the wind noise. If you want new robe rails made, try Fryer's Auto Upholstery Kits on-line at www.autoupholsterykits.com . I founded that business 38 years ago, and sold it to the current owner a couple of years ago. The guys there are terriffic and can make virtually any upholstery item. I highly recommend them.

I always thought they were standard equipment. Mine is also a 56 2 dr ht
and has them. I think someone put new seat covers on and just didn't put
them back. I've seen them on ebay from time to time. Either the whole assembly including the chrome end bezels or just the bezels. Bet you will find screw holes underneath your seat covers where the bezels attached. I too have seen the rope material in catalogs for places that
specialize in interior stuff, but wonder if they sell that heavy wire hook thingy (don't know what it's called, we girls call everything that) that
holds it. On mine they were discolored so I sprayed them with vinyl paint and they look fine although not as soft as original.

rogbo1 said:
wonder if they sell that heavy wire hook thingy (don't know what it's called, we girls call everything that) that
holds it. On mine they were discolored so I sprayed them with vinyl paint and they look fine although not as soft as original.

"S-hook". Any hardware store should carry them...

interior

hi tom i got my interior from EZ BOY the best i have ever bought real good quality eazy to fit about $1200 for the lot regards Baz

Back