How do you make it crank??? Starter button?

53_Jeff

Boy I know I sound dumb, but how do you crank the engine over on a 53 Special 45r. The car has a Dyna Flow trans and a straight 8 263.

The key switch has 3 positions; lock, on, off, and it works good.

There is a small pushbutton on the dash left of the steering column which is what I though to be the starter button. It is non responsive . . . I traced the wires the best I could and it appears that they were added by someone . . . It almost seems like they were going to the carburator for an electric choke or something. I followed the 52 wiring schematic on here the best I could and I dont see a starter button anywhere in the circuit.

Any help would be great so I don't have to keep arking a screwdrive across the 2 terminals on the starter.

Thanks,

Jeff

Turn the key on and push down on the gas pedal. The engine should crank. Cool huh? Unique to Buicks I think.

so when the car is running it knows not to grind the starter then?

This is wierd, now I cant wait to build my 263 and put it back in so I can try that!

- Jeff -

On the carberator there is a chanber which contains a light metal coated ball.
When the engine is not running this ball sinks to the bottom contacts and allows electrical contact to the starter solenoid. Then the engine starts the vacuum pulls the ball off the contacts so the starter stops. Ball can get hung up and cause starter not to turn when engine stopped.

Back