I'M BUYING YOUR BUICK

39 Century

Now that I have your attention ! :D :D

HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING

I'm honest and your honest,( but we don't know each other )and we are both aware of the SCAMS in todays world.

We both want to complete this transaction with confidence.

I'm coming from out of State.

It's Saturday

Since I'm traveling several hundred miles to come see your Buick, I won't be in your town until after the banks close.

If I like your Buick I want to take it home with me today, to avoid a second trip across three states.

I don't feel comfortable carrying the $ 9000 sale price in cash with me coming from two states away, so I want to bring you a form of payment that you are comfortable with.

Since I'll be making payment today; I want the title today.

What form of payment (other than cash) will you take from me and be confident that its on the up and up.

cashiers check! or wire the cash via western union. travelers checks are also good.

2nd the cashiers check. even better would be a money order (can be purchased at many convenience stores or your bank, you'd need to check with the convenience store for what id/info they'd want for such a large amount though).

if you have to pay with a personal check, i would want your banks tel #, and i would want to call them frid/sat morning to see if you had funds in your account to cover the check. in the case of a personal check i would also insist on a signed / witnessed document that this transaction has taken place contingent on your check clearing monday.

you're SURE, for $9000 you couldn't take one weekday off work, huh?

I personally would not take a cashier's check. My wife is a middle-level manager for a large Southeastern bank. She has seen many scams where a person changes a bank printed cashier's check. Your situation for instance, I could buy a cashier's check for $900.00. A little doctoring and it looks like $9000.00. You deposit it into your account. A few days later, you figure out you're scre*#$$d when the bank gives you a call. Western Union or wire transfer.

In two words......CASH ONLY.
beers.gif

Money talks.....well you know the rest
smash.gif
:rolleyes:

I purchased a car 1500 miles away.

I talked to the fellow and received pictures. When it looked good, I had him take it to the local GM dealer and inspect it at my expense. I then talked to the people who did the inspection. Then I made my decision, and offered 500.00 to hold it, he agreed. I sent him a bank draft for it. He agreed that he would accept the draft for the balance when I got there. I took a draft from the same bank.

If there had been a problem with the car when I arrived, I don't know if I could have got my deposit back, probably not. It is a risk you have to consider. A car never looks as good when you get there as you imagine. I was happy, and I have the car.

If he had asked, I would have been willing to stay in his town overnight until he was able to deliver the money to his bank. I think before making a long trip to buy a car you should make sure the seller will be happy with the arrangements.

Well, fellow Buick owners; thanks for all your imput on my hypothical question.

I was the seller not the buyer and we just completed the transaction this morning.

By the way it wasn't my Buick I was selling (that was just to get your attention) ;) It was my Mercury (so I no longer have a F_ _ d product in my closet :D

And after much thought and your imput, I made the buyer bring
C A S H

DONE DEAL

Wire transfer cash to a bank of his choosing with letter of instruction that it is to be released upon written confirmation from you, borne by him.

If you like the car, give him a release document. If not, have the cash wire transferred back to yourself.

Hey! I like F__d products! Bride's 99 Linc Continental has 105,000+ and drives like a brand new car (shop didn't even replace plugs or wires when we turned them loose on it at 101,000 in connection with replacing a squeeky serpentine belt). And I like the ole 84 Merc Gran Marquis I had . . only major repair in 164,000 was a timing chain . . . . but I'm glad you didn't sell your Buick. I enjoy your posts .

Re: F#&DS

Their V-8's don't seem 2 B a Problem.

My Sister-In-Laws 3.8 V-6 ThunderTurd was the worst abortion I ever worked on "hands down"

At about 70K the head gaskets go and if you don't shut them down right away, the motor is junk.

Repair is cost prohibitive. A Boat Anchor is a good alternative.

If you don't believe me I'll give you a 3.8 motor and tranny for just for the shipping cost.

Tom Gallagher

The Merc was a nice car - It just wasn't me. (I guess my butt just fits a GM car better )
I got a deal on the Merc at an auction and only bought it because I thought I could make a little profit from it (which I did).

Even though I've learned to appreciate all makes of cars as I've aged, I've always been a GM man and everytime I get in my old 39 - I have a big ole grin from ear to ear :D :D

Bernard - likewise - enjoy your posts
beers.gif

Well, I'm getting fonder of Harley Earle each time I drive it . . . but I have to stay out of Dee's Continental not to get suborned.

BTW, in my lifetime I've owned a 58 Starchief 4-dr hardtop; 68 bug; 60-something Rambler (for about a week); 66 Triumph Herald; 58 TR-3A; 58 Peugeot; 62 LeSabre 2-dr HT; 68 Chev Biscayne with the six and the powerslide tranny; Pinto with a 1.6-liter; Pinto with a 2-liter; Renault 16; Renault Alliance GTX (don't sell that rocket short); 68 Dodge Monaco; 65 Dodge Monaco; 72 Plymouth Sebring; 69 Citroen ID-19; 83 Olds Delta 88 diesel; 59 Studebaker Lark VIII (80 mph in second with overdrive); Olds Omega; 72 Chev Monte Carlo; Honda CRX Si; 84 Gran Marquis; two Aerostars; 99 Dodge Grand Caravan; 99 Lincoln Continental; 93 Firebird; 03 Chrysler Town & Country (disposed of in favor of Harley Earle); and I'me probably missed two or three . . . so that's American, German, English,French, Japanese--missed Italian, Swede, Korean, and (luckily) Yugoslavic. In American cars, all lines of the big three except Cadillac, plus American Motors and Studebaker. I'm as well rounded as that damn frozen nut I had to break last week.

Back