Rebuilding a 8.2in 10bolt

fueler191

Hey guys, ive decided to keep my 10bolt in my lark, instead of buying a ford 9in set up, any combos that anyone likes? Im looking to make her strong to withstand the beatings me and my pepped 455 will throw at it, im just having issues finding many options for the 8.2inch rear :clonk:

-jeff-

I kept my 8.2. I did rebearing it and add an eaton posi and moser axles. I think as long as the rear is "tight" it is no problem unless you are using some wild tires.

I recommend finding an original Borg Warner limited slip differential for the 8.2 BOP 10 bolt. It has 4 pinion gears instead of the 2 that the other differentials have, which makes it about 2 times as strong. If you find one I recommend sending it to Pontiac Posi Rebuilders in Ohio to have it reconditioned. If you can not find one of these then I recommend the Eaton posi. It is rebuildable and tunable. Here are some pictures of the B-W diff. http://community.webshots.com/photo/55410292/1055410616041712107RHbZEQ http://community.webshots.com/photo/55410292/1055422996041712107nZOIvS

If you don't feel safe with your axles then a set of Moser axles would be stronger. If you have the same GS rear end that Bob has then you might run into problems finding axle bearings to fit it. Bob made spacers to fit in the housing ends so that he could use the more common standard bearings.

The 8.2 BOP is a pretty good rear end. You don't have to worry about loosing an axle and it has a larger 27 spline pinion shaft than the 25 spline shaft in the Chevy 8.2 10 bolt. You might want to use one of the T/A Engineering type aluminum covers to strengthen the housing a little.

Last edited:
Steve,

I kept the 3.36. I wouldn't want to be too much lower for highway speeds. My car is a 4spd.

My personal feeling is the strength of the rear end is not directly important to the horsepower generated by the motor used as the tires used. In other words, you can have a lot of power to a small rear as long as you keep narrow tires on it.

I cheated on mine and have a 12 bolt . I am using Moser axles and retainers , Strange gears . the posi is filled with Eaton parts , carbon fiber clutches , 800 lb springs . Moser cross shaft and retainer bolt . Moser aluminum rear cover ( made by TA ) . With that combo I feel fairly comfortable , plus the 12 bolt is .3 quicker at the track than a 9 inch . Just my input.

heres an on/off topic question, any of you guys have any recomendations for coil spring traction bars?

-jeff-

fueler191 said:
heres an on/off topic question, any of you guys have any recomendations for coil spring traction bars?

-jeff-

Jeff,

I had the Southside Machine no-hop bars. They relocate the upper control arm location and use your choice of bushing (rubber or poly). I think I got them from Poston. With those, air bags and boxed lower control arms, I was consistently running 1.5 second 60 foot times. That was at 4100 pounds with driver. I also ran plain gas shocks and the front sway bar. I think I could have picked up even more with race shocks and taking the sway bar off, but I drove it to the track and back. I did not want to seriously compromise the handling.

Back