1965 Buick Gran Sport 4-Speed Question

blueaggie

Hi folks, this is my first time posting about new restoration on my father's Gran Sport I just received this week. Today, I installed a new fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, oil filter, and changed oil. For about 12hrs it ran perfect, even drove up & down the street twice (after not running for two years). Then on Sunday morning it hesitated a little, but started. I noticed that my brand new battery was dying way too quickly. Then I noticed some sparks coming off the positive terminal of the battery when trying to start. After I had it recharged by Advance, I put the battery in the car and left only the positive cable connected, then went to early dinner. When I came back it wouldn't even turn on the dash lights. I also noticed that the fuel filter wasn't filling up to put gas into the carb, no fuel pressure again (This is the reason I put a new fuel pump in initially). Then I tried jumping from other main car's battery since it seemed dead again. The car finally acted like it wanted to turn over and fuel starting filling the filter again. However, the engine never started, and sparks flew off the positive terminal again. Do any of you think it's the alternator/generator or a bad positive battery cable from the engine? As a side note, the positive cable covered about half the positive terminal but wouldn't go down farther, if that makes a difference.

Update: I actually tried the cheapest solution first, just change the positive battery terminal, and it seems to work. I'll update this thread if the problem comes back again.

GREAT looking car:thumbsup:
It doesn't look like it needs a restoration! maybe a coat of wax, but that's about it..... have fun with it.:finish:

Back