64 Special V6 225 swap to V8 300

BuickBird

I may have made a bad assumption. I have a 64 Special with the 225 V6 odd fire that I'm not happy with, especially after adding factory air. So I bought and had rebuilt a 65 LeSabre 300 that I thought would drop right in since the 300 was an option for 64. However, no mater how I jiggle and tilt the 300 engine and transmission (original Super Turbine 300), it gets locked in by the heads at the firewall and the pan at the engine cross member. :angry:

Anyone ever made this swap? Should it fit or do I need to modify the cross member, remove the pan...? Any thoughts or experiences very much appreciated?

I know the suspension linkage is different between the LeSabre and A-body (Skylark, Special) cars in those years. The A-body has the suspension in front of the cross-member and the LeSabre has some suspension components behind the cross-member. The 401 engine has two oil pans in these years for that reason: a rear sump for the A-body and a mid sump for the bigger cars (wildcat, Electra, Riviera). The leSabre uses a shortened big car platform in those years. I can not remember if the 300 and 340 have two pans for the same reason when used between the LeSabre and A-body, but that could be the reason you are hitting the cross-member. Below is a side view of 300 engine for a A-body. Compare your oil pan to the one on that car. If thy are different, we have found your problem.

attachment.php

I know the suspension linkage is different between the LeSabre and A-body (Skylark, Special) cars in those years. The A-body has the suspension in front of the cross-member and the LeSabre has some suspension components behind the cross-member. The 401 engine has two oil pans in these years for that reason: a rear sump for the A-body and a mid sump for the bigger cars (wildcat, Electra, Riviera). The leSabre uses a shortened big car platform in those years. I can not remember if the 300 and 340 have two pans for the same reason when used between the LeSabre and A-body, but that could be the reason you are hitting the cross-member. Below is a side view of 300 engine for a A-body. Compare your oil pan to the one on that car. If thy are different, we have found your problem.

attachment.php
That's my motor Steve posted.:waving: It's actually a 67 340 ( from a Le Sabre) with 300 rocker covers.It's in my '65 Special.But,your swap should bolt right in,you just need to get the angle of the dangle correct & drop her in.:thumbsup:

Back